2013-03-15

Review: Rotting Christ - Κατά τον δαίμονα εαυτού


Band: Rotting Christ
Album: "Kata Ton Daimona Eaytoy"
Style: Extreme metal
Release date: 2013-03-01
Origin: Greece

Tracklist:
1. In Yumen - Xibalba
2. P'unchaw kachun - Tuta kachun
3. Grandis Spiritus Diavolos
4. Κατά τον δαίμονα εαυτού
5. Cine iubeste si lasa
6. Iwa Voodoo
7. Gilgameš
8.  Русалка
9. Ahura Mazdā-Aŋra Mainiuu
10. Χ ξ ς'

Greece. How many metalbands can you namedrop from that country? Yeah, same here. I've always been aware of Rotting Christ, (honestly, how can you not be when a band has such a stupid name? It's sure to be remembered by everyone) but apart from a quick listen or two from their previous offering "Aealo" (2010) I've never actually bothered to sit down and thoroughly digest an album of theirs. Well, this is what I did with this latest album with the annoying title.

Awkward album- and songtitles aside, I think I expected a band sounding sort of like Portugal's pride (that's Moonspell for all you morons out there) but with a more experimental edge to it. And although this album doesn't sound anything remotely like Moonspell, I wasn't completely wrong either.
I can't think of any other band that actually sounds like Rotting Christ, which is both good and bad. On "Kata Ton Daimona Eaytoy" we get some gothic rock-like structures, weird eclecticism and prog-like parts, dramatic opera-wannabe stuff and a foundation of death/black/thrash-metal, all combined. On paper, this combination of parts from Therion, Moonspell, Arcturus, Sigh and Cradle of Filth (parts - not a mix of said bands) sounds really good. In reality, I feel that this is an album that is missing a certain special ingredient. Yes, it is that classic ingredient which ultimately decides whether or not I like an album or not - the songwriting.
For while these Greek lads are undoubtedly gifted musicians and people who know how to cook songs together, I strongly feel that they lack the ability to build a really interesting song which you can remember 5 hours after last listening to the album. Don't get me wrong, each song in itself has parts all over the place which makes me raise an eyebrow or two or nod along to the music. But while no song really bores you to tears, there's no song that sticks out either. This is ultimately the albums blessing and curse.

All in all, this album is mediocre. Period. It's not one of those albums where you like 2-3 songs and the rest are shit. "Kata Ton Daimona Eaytoy" is an album where you most certainly can appreciate every song, but never truly fall in love with them. It actually saddens me to sort of "bash" Rotting Christ like this, because despite their silly name, I really wanted to enjoy this. And I also do to a certain extent, but I doubt I will take this album out for a spin much more in the future.

RATING:
5.5/10


3 comments:

  1. I've always liked Rotting Christ in a live setting, where they have a great presence and always (as far as I kow them at least) delivers, but I've never actually checked them out on album.
    For the heck of it, I visited their entry on the Metal Archives, and there I can see that this album has by far the lowest average of all their albums. Maybe you were just unlucky to begin in the wrong end of things?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That just might be true. As (I think) I mentioned in the review; I've always planned to hear more from them and this album didn't scare me off either.
      One day when I'm bored, I will go through their discography and perhaps find something that I really like.

      Delete
    2. I got Aealo today, my first record with them. Listening to it now, and my first-hand impression is that it's nothing like I imagined it. Not much black metal left here except for the vocals. So far I'm only on the fourth song, and to use your words, I'm not scared off, but I am a bit befuddled I must admit.

      Delete